Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Riv's 2015 PCT, Days 49-52, Part 1

Days 49 - 52, Thurs - Sun.,  August 13 - 16, Part 1

Day 49: From PCT mile 2092.00, elev. 4822 walked 2.47 miles to PCT 2094.47 plus .18 mile spur trail To Timberline Lodge, elev. 5924.  Total up/down: +1221/-119.  

Day 50: Day of rest with Chris at Timberline

Day 51: Drive from Timberline to Packwood Lodge

Day 52: From Chinook Pass trail head (near Mt Rainier Natl Park), PCT mile 2321.34, elev. 5358, walked 17.76 (plus approx. 2 miles and approx. +/- 500 ft for another "excursion") to campsite near Arch Rock Spring, PCT mile 2339.10, elev. 5684. Total up/down: +2936/-2647. 

Dear Trail Friends,

I got so completely into resting that I didn't even blog these past few days. It was wonderful to revisit Timberline. The hike up was a little more challenging than I had guessed -- a good deal of it was through soft sand that made the climb a lot harder. But it was exciting to be hiking to a place I love and to know I would meet with Chris there. 

Oh dear. I just realized that I cannot send you the stunning view of Mt Hood that opened up as I hiked (there were very few views of Mt. Hood -- it wAs mostly concealed by trees) or the ghostly view of Mt Jefferson to the south looking over the top of Timberline Lodge. I downloaded all my photos to my computer and deleted them from my iPhone to make room for music. ( BIG thank you to Linda and Ingrid for your music suggestions. I bought them and listened today as I hiked. I both enjoyed the music and felt close to you as I listened. If anyone else wants to send music suggestions - an album you think you might like to listen to if you were hiking the PCT - it's not too late!) I forgot that I hadn't blogged for Thursday yet.  Oh well. 

I loved returning to Timberline and sharing it with Chris. I was so happy she liked it too. We watched the 30 minute video of the history, took the tour led by a young forest service intern ranger, and experimented with a self-guided tour app on the crafts (wood, metal, textiles). We also just walked around noticing all the playful and creative details in the interior construction and furniture. I had so fallen in love with the place and it was great to have Chris really appreciate it. 

We enjoyed the food -- we ate in the main dining hall for a lunch buffet Friday and a breakfast buffet Saturday. We also ate at the Ram's Head Bar and Restaurant Thursday ( the ram's head is a theme in the iron work that we really liked) and the Blue Ox Bar ( decorated with large glass mosaic/murals of Paul Bunyon and Babe the Blue Ox, honoring the tradition of lumberjacks so much a part of Oregon history. Each had different beauties and atmosphere and it was fun to try them all. We could see Mt Hood Thursday night, after that the weather changed to heavy fog and rain. Two great days to not be on the the trail! 

Chrissy not only brought me all the thousand little things I had requested, she also brought wine, hummus and fresh veggies, cheese and apples and gluten free crackers, almonds, and our most special at home breakfast: homemade granola, plain yogurt, and fresh nectarines. What fun we had dining in our room ( which was very nice). 

Photo 1: Katie and David from Dallas, at the table beside puts at Timberline. They were there for a wedding. Turned out Katie was very interested in the Camino and David is section hiking the Appalachian Trail. We had a great conversation and when our bill came David asked the waiter to give it to him. "Trail magic" he said, and smiled. 


Photo 2: Rivy and Chrissy saying goodbye Sunday morning about 8:30am at the trailhead at Chinook Pass. 


Photo 3:  my first water stop -- just 2 miles into my hike


Photo 4: my first encounter with people hiking with llamas. I got to step off the trail to let them pass!


Photo 5: looking south at Mt Adams and remembering how much I enjoyed hiking through the Mt Adams Wilderness last year. 


To be continued in Days 49 - 52, Thurs - Sun.,  August 13 - 16, Part 2

2 comments:

  1. Was it difficult following in the footsteps of lamas? Did you speak with these hikers about their experiences hiking with an animal? Seems it would require another batch of challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was it difficult following in the footsteps of lamas? Did you speak with these hikers about their experiences hiking with an animal? Seems it would require another batch of challenges!

    ReplyDelete