Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Riv's 2015 Hike, Day 60, Part 2

Day 60, Monday, August 24, Part 2

Continued from Day 60, Part 1

Photo 7. I hiked by a lovely lake called Deception Lake and part of me wishes I were camping there instead of trying to make it to Stevens Pass tomorrow. I soothed myself by imagining my friend Barbara and her sister Anita and her dog Angel camping there. Arriving early, by 5 or so, relaxing, enjoying the lake both in the evening and the morning. It gave me pleasure to imagine her there, so much so that I missed a turn in the trail and had to hike around and find it again!


I was also thinking about the ripples on a lake as little waves. That maybe it doesn't always have to be a great big wave that one rides. Sometimes the slightest subtlest ripples will do ( like those moments that I am so still and do present that my breath seems to barely move, barely disturb the air around me). So I chose the ripples on this lake for Bonnie's wave of the day. 

Photo 8: and then of course I was glad to be River and not Barbara as the trail led up to one of the most wonderful high mountain view trails I have walked on the whole PCT. I was so happy to be there. Another reason I hiked it was that the cell coverage report said there would be coverage at the pass at the top. (There was not.)


Photo 9:  looking back at Cathedral peak. We hiked by it when I was hiking with Flash in late morning but none of my photos turned out very well. 


Photo 10. This hiker and I crossed on the trail, she was hiking down, I was hiking up. "Don't I know you?" She said. Turns out she thru hiked in 2014 and we met in the spring (when I hiked down from Walker Pass near Bakersfield to the trail angel house "ziggy and the bear" near Palm Springs. She remembered that we camped together by a creek, that we had the same tent but that I was planning to get a new one for my Wonderland hike. She is a nurse practitioner who works with traumatized vets. 


Photo 11. The stunning view from this very special section of trail


Photo 12:after the pass,hiking down. Also beautiful. 


To be continued in Day 60, part 3. 

No comments:

Post a Comment