Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Riv's 2015 PCT, Day 46, Part 1

Day 46, Monday, August 10, Part 1

From Breitenbush campground (at PCT mile 2036.87, plus .31 miles on spur trail to Camp Ground), elev. 5524, walked .31miles to trail plus 18.69 miles to campsite at PCT mile 2055.56, elev. 5065. 

Dear Trail Friends,

It is just after 7pm and I am in my tent listening to the rain plopping against the surface of the tent. The last few days there have been threatening gray clouds and the smell and feeling of rain in the air, and last night it rained very briefly just as I climbed into my tent. But this afternoon it rained hard, then hailed so hard that the hail stones stung my head even through the hood of my rain jacket, plus the hood of my poncho, plus my regular hiking hat. As I write it is starting to rain really hard again. At one point I was being pummeled by hail, trying to hike up a narrow trail that rain water was rushing down, listening to the deep rich frightening but also exciting rolls of thunder, watching the heat lightning flash it seemed like exactly in my vicinity, and wondering what it is one is supposed to do to stay safe when hiking in a thunder and lightning storm. I decided one is supposed to just keep hiking. Gosh it is raining hard out there. I sure hope my tent can stay dry in this deluge. 

I had to put my pack cover, rain jacket, rain skirt, and rain mittens away wet. My shoes are soaked through, as are my socks. I need to wring them out and hang them up to dry as much as they can because if the rain continues and my other socks Aldo get wet I will have to wear them again, dry or not. 

But the day was not all about rain. Far from it. It began as a beautiful morning and I started hiking early as usual I think around 5:15am

Photo 1:  morning sky and crescent moon. I watched the crescent moon rise over the lake this morning ( at first I thought it was setting, but it kept getting higher in the sky then I ingeniously figured out that it was rising) then rise higher above the trees as I began my hike. 


Photo 2. It truly is a remarkable thing to come around a corner not expecting anything in particular and to see a lake like this, reflecting trees in the morning light. 


Photo 3. Fun to see all these birds in the sun pecking away searching for food


Photo 4 and 5. And then this stunning lake with its rock forms and reflections. 




To be continued in Day 45, Part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment