Thursday, August 13, 2015

Riv's 2015 PCT, Day 48, August 12

Day 48, Wednesday, August 12

From my ILLEGAL campsite at Timothy Lake shore, about 140 ft from PCT mile 2074.26, elev. 3227, walked 17.72 miles to campsite at PCT mile 2092.00. Total up/down: +2740/-1166. 

Dear Trail Friends,

So just in case there were any doubts in either of our minds, as I left Timothy Lake area I saw a sign that clearly stated camping was permitted in designated campsites only. I don't know why there wasn't any sign as I entered (the sign placements seem to assume people all arrive by car -- walking from the nearest parking lot. On the other hand, why when I noticed that there were "designated campsites" didn't I assume that camping was not permitted elsewhere? Duh. But luckily I didn't get caught. And hopefully there is not some kind of serious environmental damage I wrought by camping outside a designated site. 

 The morning walk was very joyful.  I was in love with the light shining on pine needles making them sparkle. I also took it slow, resting every two hours or even more and spending time in inverted position (feet up against a tree) every rest. This because I have developed a heel pain and we all know that tendinitis in the heel could put an end to my walk. We had a long talk, my heel and I, and she said she would be alright but I had to rest every two hours, do inverted pose every time, and rub on my pain cream ( a special River mix of an alternative arnica pain cream and a mainstream camphor-menthol-salicylic acid (aspirin) pain cream. The combo seems to give me both relief and healing. Alas the combo also seems to dissolve the small plastic jars I bought to use on the trail, but that's another story. 

My heel did make it through the day, including a climb from just around 3000 ft to almost 5000. Tomorrow we'll climb to 6000 to meet our Chrissy. Listening to music helped a lot. I am getting a little bored with my music -- I think I mentioned this before--having had to delete a lot when the mail program bug swallowed all my free gigabytes and could not be induced to vomit them up. I'm curious, would you consider emailing me what album(s) you think you might want to hear if you were walking the PCT? I hope to download my photos at Timberline and free up a little space for music. I'd love to hear an album you recommend and why you might like listening to it on the trail. 

That's pretty much it for today. Here are the photos:

Photo 1. Morning light on pine needles


Photo 2. More light, more needles. 


Photo 3. My first (and last!) glimpse of Mt. Hood in days. I was hoping is walk toward it watching it get closer each day anticipating seeing Chris. I guess with mountains, like love, the goal isn't always in sight. You have to rely on those old fashioned virtues like hope and faith. 


Photo 4. And 5 and 6. All these wild Rhodies in the green cathedral. In places the whole understory seemed to be Rhodies. I would love to see them all in blossom. 






Now that IS all for now. Thanks for walking with me. I am so grateful for your presence and I love to hear from you when you're in the mood to respond. I am sorry the comment system has not worked well for most of us (me included! When I've tried to respond to comments I have failed) but would still love to here any thoughts or feelings you have about walking the trail with me. 

Bye for now. Enjoy your hike. 

No comments:

Post a Comment