Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Riv's 2015 PCT, Day 39, Aug. 3, Part 1

Day 39, Monday, August 3. Part 1. 

From PCT mile 1951.39, elev. 5298 (where a 2nd trail from Elk Lake meets the PCT), walked 12.78 official PCT miles to PCT mile 1964.08, elev. 6466. (Plus an additional 1.8 miles from Elk Lake resort to the trail).  Total up/down: +2432/-1280.   

Dear Trail Friends,

Here I am in my tent Monday evening at 8:45pm. I am camped in a cluster of campsites near a small pond with a stunning view of the southern Sister mountain. There are a lot of tents and campers here, music,voices, laughter. This came as quite a shock because I've been mostly alone on the trail. I haven't figured out who all these people are -- hikers? campers? Wondering if there's a parking lot and road access nearby, or ...?

So what can I tell you about today? How thrilled I was to be able to get all the blogs uploaded last night and this morning, and glad of my decision to go down to Elk Lake, as well as to wait around for 9 am breakfast (hot coffee, fresh squeezed orange juice, a scrambled egg burrito without the wrap, since I try to eat gluten-free). I thoroughly enjoyed the food itself and the nurture and of being cooked for and served food. I headed out for the trail utterly relaxed and satisfied at 10 am. 

Photo 1. I thought you might like to see Elk Lake resort -- this shows the lake, looking across the parking lot. The restaurant is to the left and my campsite was to the right but further up from the water.


Photo 2. Here is the beautiful young man who gave me a dish of strawberry ice cream last night. Another trail angel or trail magician. 


Photo 3. It was very cloudy and smokey this morning -- enough smoke to give me a sore throat and worry me. But by afternoon it all cleared. As I hiked toward my first rest stop (at Sisters Mirror Lake) the phrase "smoke and mirrors" kept dancing through my mind. Here is southern Sister and Middle Sister -- I have yet to see Northern Sister. 


Photo 4. Mirror Lake where I had my first rest stop. The weather was too cool and overcast for a dip unfortunately but it was a lovely lake and restful to be there. I was impressed that my body seemed fine after the 25 miles yesterday. I don't have to do any long days for a little while now. I will be hiking to mile 1992 where Big Lake Youth Camp welcomes hikers to camp, shower, share vegetarian meals where I will spend Wednesday night, then hike to mile 1998 Thursday morning where Pam (a longtime close friend of my almost as long term friend Joanie in San Diego) will meet me at noon. So for tomorrow and Wednesday I have only 28 miles total. I look forward to a little rest at the youth camp and "serious" rest in Bend where Pam will host me and take me back to the trail Saturday morning. And then just a week of hiking to Mt. Hood and Timberline where I will get to spend two luxurious nights with Chris (and a third at Packwood Lodge, near where she will drop me off to begin the Washington section of my hike. )


Photo 5. Another photo of Southern Sister and Middle Sister. I am soooo curious to see Northern Sister. I continue to use this part of the walk for special meditation on my siblings, both sisters and brothers. 


Continued in Day 39, Part 2
 

No comments:

Post a Comment