Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Riv's 2015 PCT, Day 59, Part 1

Day 59, Sunday, August 23, Part 1

from campsite at PCT mile 2412.01, elev. 3240, walked  18.83 miles to campsite at PCT mile 2430.84, elev. 4222. total up/down: +4806/-3823. 

Dear Trail Friends,

As you can see, this part of the trail involves some steep ups and downs (I climbed almost 5000 ft today and went down almost 4000.). Why, you might ask ( I might too!) when there is no rush to meet Chris on Wednesday did I push myself to walk almost 19 miles instead of my planned 14?

The answer isn't easy or simple. Today JJ the young man from Korea who is named for James Joyce passes me and I realized that I will not see him again. As he walked away I saw his shorts were torn in back and I wished I could have the chance to see them for him. It reminded me of sewing the snaps on Machete's pants with a broken zipper. I had so wanted to do something for him. 

I think I was also thinking about the possibility this would be the last section of my hike. That I might not come back next year. It may be time to move on to shared dreams with Chris. 

I noticed having to climb over fallen logs, ford streams and I liked the way these evoked memories from earlier hikes. It occurred to me that maybe I wanted to keep open the option of going to the Hiker Haven, a trail angel come that welcomes hikers. Maybe I needed some kind of experience of the hiker community as part of my "wrap up."

I also liked the idea of hiking up to 4000 ft rather than sleeping at 3000. Elevation changes seem especially hard for me when I sleep low and hike high. 

I also reflected on how pushing for a goal often allows me paradoxically to drop into some kind of zone or trance where I am truly present. Slowing down isn't the only route to being present. It's like the athletic challenge keeps the ambitious (and anxious?), competitive (and aggressive?) part of my brain occupied counting hours and miles and it doesn't bother to launch harsh critical a tracks on me ( or others). I met a man the first day out of Snoquslmie Pass who was very critical of thru hikers and thought the athletic challenge causes them to ignore Leave No Trace ethics. ( in particular he disapproved of sleeping with one's food bag, as over against hanging it or using a bear canister). I thought a lot about both the content of what he said and the hostile affect. I wondered if he were more into athletics it might sublimate some of that aggression? Maybe so. Maybe not. 

Wow. I just peeked outside my tent to see the beautiful just slightly over half moon. Today was a day for wows. I don't have much to say about these photos except that I understand why the hike from Snoqualmie Pass to Stevens Pass is so popular for weekend or one or two week back pack trips. It is strenuous but it sure is beautiful. 

Photos 1 & 2. Mountains in morning light. 




Photo 3: That special morning moment when the light turns things pink or red. I wonder if this is what Homer meant by rosy fingered dawn. 


Photo 4. More morning mountains


Photo 5. Later morning. The bright snow/glaciers really show up as the sun gets higher and the light shines down on them. 


To be continued in Day 59, Part 2. 



No comments:

Post a Comment