Sunday, August 2, 2015

Riv's 2015 PCT, Day 32, July 27, Part 2

Day 32, July 27, Part 2. 

Photos 1-6. Views of Crater Lake as I walked the rim. Apparently a mountain we now call Mazuma exploded lava all over the Pacific Northwest around 7700 years ago. Crater Lake was the indentation that was left after the mountain blew it's top. As I walked the rim I tried to imagine that mountain.  It seemed very large. 











Photo 6. I met three bikers, two men and a woman, who were also admiring the view. Seeing them made me think of my friend John who died in early 2014, soon after this pilgrimage started. I recalled how much he loved motorcycles and how his best friend Norm held him sitting upright by sitting behind him in bed (staying upright was important so that the "Death with Dignity" potion could work its gentle magic and not get rejected and vomited up), how Norm had imagined "we're going for a motorcycle ride, brother. Here we go. " I even told these three beautiful biker souls how my friend had ridden his Harley off into the unknown when he died. Funny how with people as with landscapes one has these wow moments, where the beauty of souls just appears and is noticed, effortlessly. Then I saw them much later, sitting on their bikes, ready too zoom off into the unknown. How could I resist taking their picture?


I loved Crater Lake's beauty, but I also felt also a sadness as I noticed how different a park feels to me from a wilderness. Each of the views had built-up viewing areas, platforms, steps, fences. Each was, in its way, framed and put on display. It felt more like a zoo. I noticed that I turned to other tourists to say, "isn't it beautiful?"  But never did I step around a corner or rise over a ridge and say spontaneously and with surprise, to the place itself "YOU are beautiful."

That is all for now. Sure hope my little blogtouch pro app doesn't crash again from all these postings I've saved to local and been unable to post. Hope o get coverage good enough to post them all soon. Missing you! Love and blessings, crests and craters, to you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment