Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Riv's 2015 PCT, Day 60, Part 3

Day 60, Monday, August 24, Part 3

Just before I came to my tent site I had been thinking about Mt Baker, wondering where it was, sad I had not seen it. 

Then I saw this peak towering over the others. I checked my compass, it was to the northwest. I was pretty sure it had to be Mt Baker. Pretty thrilling if I think about this as a pilgrimage between my first landscape love (deserts and mountains outside San Diego) and my adult landscape love, Orcas Island. Because of course my baker is visible from Orcas. When I train on mt Constitution I am always excited to see whether Mt Baker is "out."  

And now suddenly here it is from the PCT. I may not to approach it, hike near it, and pass it as I have with Shasta, Adams, Hood, Rainier -- but I am seeing it. 

Photo 13: first glimpse of Mt Baker from the trail. 


And then? As I approach the campsite chosen only because it was halfway to Stevens Pass and near the pass that supposedly had cell coverage, I discover my campsite is one of the most beautiful I have slept in -- with a view of Mt Baker!

Funny how I'd been reflecting on how weekend and shorter term back packers often ask where you stayed last night, where you will stay tonight. They pick their sites because they are interesting places they want to experience, often beautiful lakes. And PCT hikers (Barbara would be an exception) often don't know how to respond "oh some campsite by the trail when I got too exhausted to go any further" or "hmmm-- it was PCT mike 2424, but I don't know anything else about it." Yet thru serendipity, or trail Magic, I wound up at a campsite far more perfect for what could be my last night on the trail than any campsite I would have deliberately chosen. 

Photo 14. View of Mt Baker from my campsite. 


So then I put up my tent and sit down to eat supper and watch the sunset. And I'm thinking that high places I. The mountains are the best places to watch sunsets, better than the beach even, and meanwhile the sky is putting on this special sunset event especially for me, knowing that I am thinking that this could be my last night on the trail. 

And knowing too that photos can't capture the magic of being present below a vast sky lit up with vivid luminous changing colors, but that it is important to me to try...

Photos 15. River trying to share the trail magic filling the whole sky. There's a "pink moment" at sunset too. 



Photo 16. My Baker sunset


Photos 17-18. River trying to capture the trail magic filling up the whole sky. 




Thank you so much for witnessing And sharing this very special journey. And if you haven't prayed yet for my knee and ankle to heal, it is definitely not too late. 

Happy trails. 

No comments:

Post a Comment