Friday, July 24, 2015

Riv's 2015 PCT, Day 28, July 23, Part 2

Photo 5. In the distance another volcano (that looks pristine and in-erupted to me, though people tell me it has erupted. ). Mt McLoughlin. 


Photo 6. More lava and more lava. Endless lava. 


Photo 7. My sweet tentsite by Fish Lake. Though I felt guilty about disliking the trail and hiking toward a goal, this turned out to be a beautiful place to be. I had a delicious hamburger with cooked jalapeños and avocados, a salad, soup and a local beer. For desert a Haagen Dazs bar and Reece peanut butter cups. The waitress was a gifted appreciator, constantly commenting and noticing everything: my smile, how pretty the cook made the plate look. It is funny how people who love what they do spread happiness to everyone around them. 


Photo 8. Grock, 40/something hiker doing his second PCT thru/hike. He has also hiked the Appalachian twice, and a number of other trails. He gave me a beer (and accepted a Reece peanut butter cup) and we had a thoughtful and I thought close conversation about families and relationships as the sun went down on the campsite we are sharing. 


It is dark now. I am sitting in my tent feeling very deeply contented. I don't know if I will wake early and hitch back to the trail (or hike the two-mile spur trail back) or sleep late, eat breakfast, maybe even swim in the lake. I love that I got to shower and do a laundry (tho all without soap -- due to my sensitive skin I only use the "special" soap I send in resupply boxes, and this was between resupplies.) I love that I had a good dinner. 

I ran into the boys again (Happy, Commando, Water Boy) here, but no longer seem under the spell of the Mother complex in relation to them. 

I hope you are happy in your trails --whether pausing and being in the moment, or striving toward the goal. And I thank you as always, more than I can ever express or you can ever know, your interest and witness makes it possible for me to discover the mysteries and beauties ( and yes,the boredoms and annoyances) of the trail. 

Bye for now. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks River, love keeping up with your great blog. Kathy

    ReplyDelete